This new AVAC® Poolside Cafe’ smoothie is calcium-packed, free of refined sugar, and will keep you feeling FABULOUS!
Here are 7 reasons why you need to try our new Kale Almond Protein Smoothie handcrafted by Laura Hsu, and taste-tested by Team AVAC®!
It’s made with kale—In the rare event you’ve been living under a rock and don’t know about kale’s highly nutritious benefits, kale is a green leafy vegetable that is a member of the cruciferous or cabbage family and it’s loaded with carotenes (an anti-oxidant), vitamins C and B5, and manganese. It also has a good amount of fiber, as well as the minerals copper, iron and calcium. In fact, ounce for ounce, kale has more calcium, plus it is more absorbable, than the calcium in milk! Vegetables in the cruciferous family are rich in glucosinolates, which are phytonutrients that are protective against cancer.
- It has whole raw almonds—almonds contain healthy monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fat, protein, as well as the antioxidant vitamin E. Almonds also supply a good dose of minerals, many of which are common deficiencies, such as magnesium, potassium, calcium, iron and zinc. Almonds have been shown to be protective against cancer as well as heart disease.
- It features unsweetened almond milk—the Poolside Café uses unsweetened almond milk specially to keep this smoothie refined-sugar free!
- It uses bananas—frozen banana chunks provide sweetness without the need for added sugar. Bananas also give the smoothie a creamy texture. Bananas are rich in potassium, an important electrolyte which helps lower blood pressure and protects against heart disease. Bananas are also high in pectin, a type of fiber that is soothing to the GI tract.
- It has whey protein powder—1 scoop of protein powder added to the smoothie provides about 20 grams of protein, which can aid in muscle recovery after a workout. Protein powder provides amino acids such as glutamine (gut-healing), branched-chain amino acids (good for muscle growth and maintenance) and cysteine, which forms glutathione, the body’s most powerful antioxidant. Whey protein powder also contains immunoglobulins which can improve immune function. In addition, whey protein is easily digestible.
- It is a refreshing pre- or post-workout snack as the weather heats up.
- IT TASTES DELICIOUS!
Nutritional Values:Calories: 395Sugar: 18 gramsProtein: 22 gramsCarbs: 40 gramsFat: 19 gramsFiber: 9 grams
Resources: Murray, Michael, ND, (2005), Encyclopedia of Healing Foods, Atria Books, NY