via – Lydia M. | AbsoluteFIT Participant at AVAC®
The Leigh High School Longhorn Stampede was this past Sunday, and as a representative of Team AVAC, I think I acquitted myself pretty well, despite the fact that I’ve done very little running in the past few months — I’m in good enough shape from AbsoluteFIT that my relative lack of running training wasn’t a dealbreaker at the 5K distance.
My experience, in bulleted list form:
- My time: 29:21, good enough for 7th place in the Females 40-49 category. Yeah!
- I was outrun by a lanky 14-year-old boy doing the race in board shorts and sockless Vans. Humbling.
- Actual cheerleaders along the route? Nice touch!
- Runners cheering other runners? Awesome!
- I fell in stride with another runner, a man somewhere around my age, in the last mile or so; that, more than anything else, helped keep me from fading on the home stretch. Lesson: buddy up!
- Even if it looks like it’ll be overcast and cool, and you like running in a compression tight, don’t. The sun comes out, it gets hot, you will so regret not wearing shorts …
- I loved seeing my AVAC people there! As a presenting partner, they were out and about in the crowd, running the race, leading a warm-up, and generally bringing good info and good cheer.
- The energy of the whole event, including all the neighborhood spectators along the route, was so welcoming and fun — this is one to make a family tradition out of, and it was clear that a lot of families were doing exactly that.
Join Team AVAC at the Stampede next year, have some fun, get in a good run, and contribute to a good community cause — you’ll be glad you did!