via – Lydia M, AbsoluteFIT Participant
Me vs. Me, Round 3: The Third Assessment
About a week ago, I bailed on the craziness in my house for an hour (people ripping things apart with power tools, leaving a quarter-inch layer of dust over everything despite careful plastic sheathing) and did my third monthly assessment.
Here’s how it went:
- Squats: 50, up from 48 last time.
- Burpees: Another uptick: 24 (compared to 22 last month). HATE THEM SO MUCH. STILL. ALWAYS.
- Push-ups: 35, improved from 31.
- Skaters: 75 — holy moly, 11 more than last time!
- Alternating reverse lunges: 44, matching my previous number.
- Sit-ups: 22 — slight improvement over last month’s 21.
- Planks: 23 again — but this time, the first eight were from a full plank on my toes, and the rest from my knees. (You hold a plank position with arms fully extended, go down to your elbows, get back to full extension. It’s tough.)
- Spin bike: At a certain tension, pedal as hard as you can and see how far you get: .7 mile, slightly less than my previous .8 mile.
I realized afterward that I was running on very low reserves, physically — I’d had a 20-hour day the day before — starting with that super-hard 5:30 a.m. workout Monday morning — and I hadn’t eaten before this assessment. I think that made a difference, especially near the end of each test minute — I’d start strong, then fade in a way I hadn’t been doing before. But there were still small improvements, and I’m particularly proud of doing more planks from the full straight-arm position: Core strength is one slow-building but extremely-noticeable change I’m seeing in my body.
Next time, I’ll get a full night’s rest beforehand — sleep is fuel! How’d the rest of you do?