Lee M’s AbsoluteFIT Journey: My Stats at the Start, or: Top o’ the Muffin To Ya
“Getting my starting-line numbers involved a scale, a measuring tape, and — hilariously — an ultrasound wand to the ol’ muffin top.”
All right, everybody, here we go: I just met for the first time with my coach, Oceana — she’ll be my guide through AbsoluteFIT. She’s awesome! And like everyone else I’ve met in the program so far, she’s friendly, encouraging, and eager to help, without a shred of judgment or preachiness. We went over my goals, talked about how I’ll work toward them, and got my stats — which (in my workout gear) are:
- Weight: 140
- Chest: 36”
- Waist: 34”
- Hip: 39”
- Body fat percentage: 26.4
BTW, getting these numbers involved not only a scale and measuring tape, as you’d imagine, but also — hilariously — an ultrasound wand to the arm, thigh, and muffin-top to get those high-tech, high-accuracy body fat readings. As she was gelling it up, Oceana was like, “Well — you’ve had kids, so you know all about these.” Heh.
My goals for the next 10 weeks are:
- Lose 5 pounds of fat
- Increase my cardio endurance
- Increase my overall muscle tone and strength, particularly in my arms and abs
- Retain and improve my balance/stability (which we tend to lose as we age)
Finally, we talked about my plan for the coming week:
- Download the app MyFitnessPal to my iPhone, and begin tracking my food, water and exercise.
- Sign up for workout sessions online (Oceana showed me how — it’s SO EASY! — and not only does it keep the small-group training schedule on track, but also it’s another way to keep us accountable — knowing you’ve got an appointment makes you more likely to follow through)
- Do my first monthly Assessment in the first session I attend
- Do three AbsoluteFIT sessions — whichever of the many offerings fit my schedule best
I honestly cannot WAIT to get started! Anyone else? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?