This warm spinach-and-beet salad is inspired by a dish from Penny Cluse Café in Burlington, Vermont. If you have cooked beets on hand, you can have it ready in just a few minutes.
- 8 cup(s) baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon(s) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup(s) thinly sliced red onion
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoon(s) sliced Kalamata olives
- 2 tablespoon(s) chopped fresh parsley
- 1 clove(s) garlic, minced
- 2 cup(s) steamed beet wedges or slices, 1/2-1 inch thick (see Tip)
- 2 tablespoon(s) balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) freshly ground pepper
- Place spinach in a large bowl.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until starting to soften, about 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, olives, parsley and garlic and cook, stirring, until the tomatoes begin to break down, about 3 minutes. Add beets, vinegar, salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until the beets are heated through, about 1 minute more. Add the beet mixture to the spinach and toss to combine. Serve warm.Carb Servings: 2 vegetable, 1 fat Carbohydrate Servings: 1 Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (120% daily value), Folate & Vitamin C (50% dv), Potassium (21% dv), Magnesium (19% dv).