Any exercise promotes health; that’s the good news. But certain kinds of exercise at certain levels of intensity provide you with the greatest health benefits. Aerobic exercise is the key to enhancing cardio-respiratory fitness and lowering the risk of cardiovascular disease. Aerobic exercise is any large muscle, continuous rhythmic activity. The work “aerobic” means “with oxygen” and only when oxygen is present in the muscle cells can fat be burned for energy. Many types of exercises are aerobic: brisk walking, jogging, cross-country skiing, rowing, cycling, swimming and aerobic dancing are just a few.
Music has been used during exercise sessions for years, but in 1972 when Jackie Sorenson put together a routing of vigorous dance moves and music and called it aerobic dancing, she started one of the biggest fitness movements ever seen.
Besides being a good workout, aerobic dance exercise is also a social event. It is a great way to meet new people and a time you can set aside to spend with friends.
With aerobic exercise you can:
- Reduce your levels of stress, anxiety and depression
- Reduce your risk for physical ailments such as heart disease
- Improve your quality of life at any age
- Be uplifted and gain a renewed sense of energy
- Join a class and let this year’s motto be “Have! More! Fun!