via fANNtastic food
These taste like normal mashed potatoes, but there are a few secret ingredients. Not only is the nutrition amped up with equal parts mashed cauliflower (you seriously don’t even taste it), but there’s also added protein and fiber from a can of cannellini beans, too!
Healthy Mashed Potatoes
(Serves 6 to 8 as a side)
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 4 medium/large potatoes, or an equal amount smaller sized
- Fresh or dried rosemary
- 1 15 oz. can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 tsp. garlic powder
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Optional variation: 1/2 C skim/low fat milk
1) Slice potatoes into small pieces, chop cauliflower. Put in a large pot full of boiling water; add in a couple sprigs fresh (or a few shakes dry) rosemary and a pinch of salt and pepper. Boil until soft.
2) Drain potatoes and cauliflower; let cool for a few minutes. In a large bowl, use an immersion blender (or mash by hand, or use a blender) to blend together potatoes, cauliflower, and beans.
3) Add the garlic powder, a few more shakes of dried rosemary, salt and pepper to taste, and milk, if desired. Mix and enjoy! Serve warm.
When broken into 7 servings, each serving contains:
- 211 calories, 0.6g fat, 44g carbs, 9.3g fiber, 47mg sodium, 0.9g sugar, 10.3g protein. Not too shabby! Lots of fiber and protein, and it’s also very high in potassium, Vitamin C, Vitamin B6, and more.