via Mackenzie Look – AVAC
After recently being diagnosed with Lyme’s disease my doctor recommended that I try eating Paleo. Eating Paleo, for those of you who have somehow avoided the recent onslaught of the Paleo and Crossfit crazes, means avoiding grains of all kinds, dairy, legumes (that means no peanuts, soy, or beans!), sugars, and bad oils. Basically what’s left is meat, fish, veggies, fruit, nuts, and eggs.
There are numerous health benefits of Paleo: decreased inflammation, better sleep, relief from GI issues, more energy, weight loss, the list goes on and on. Eating this way has offered so much relief from many of the symptoms I have suffered from for so long and as great as I feel there are so many things I miss eating! Chocolate chip cookies are the one thing that I miss the most, but thankfully there are a million blogs out there with their own version of Paleo cookies. I’ve pulled from a few and here is my favorite recipe for them:
- 3 1/4 cup almond meal (Trader Joes has the best and cheapest!)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon gluten free vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup maple syrup (you can also use organic honey [make sure you melt it] or agave nectar, but I find they taste best with the pure maple syrup)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 1/2 cups DARK chocolate chips (the darker the chocolate chip, the more ‘paleo friendly’)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grab a cookie sheet- I always make these on either parchment paper or aluminum foil, both work great and make for super easy clean up!
- Combine your almond flour with the salt and baking soda
- In a large bowl, combine your eggs, vanilla extract, coconut oil, and maple syrup
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients and add your chocolate chips
- Scoop the dough onto the parchment or foil and stick ‘em in the oven for about 10-12 minutes, the longer you keep them in the crispier they will be, which is how I like them!