Everyone loves blackberries for their delicious taste, but they also have many medicinal benefits. Their leaves contain health benefits too. So, next time you find a blackberry tree, do pick a handful of leaves as well. Blackberry is high in vitamins B, vitamin C and a variety of minerals, especially potassium, iron and calcium. They contain a lot of water. It is the only berry to contain ellagic acid.
Let us quickly see the most well known benefits of this wonderful gift of nature:
1. Mouth: Chewing leaves of blackberry is an ancient practice to get rid of bleeding gums.
2. Menstrual: Blackberry leaf also gives relief from excessive bleeding. Also blackberry fruit is used to regulate menses and considered a uterine tonic.
3. Acne: Blackberries have antioxidants which clear acne. Since blackberries are source of ellagic acid, it also protects from UV rays. Vitamin C in it helps to lessen the appearance of wrinkles.
4. Diabetes: Blackberries are high in potassium, that helps reduce insulin. Consume blackberries daily with one teaspoon of honey to control diabetes. Continue this for a week for good results.
Leaves are also consumed for anti-diabetic properties.
5. Healthy Bones: Calcium in blackberry helps to strengthen bones.
6. Eczema: Eczema can be treated with strong tea of the leaves. (Apply externally)
7. Red Blood Cells: Blackberries contain minerals like potassium, manganese, copper, and magnesium. These help in production of white and red blood cells.
8. Cancer: Blackberries have ellagic acid. Scientific research has found that ellagic acid can help in the prevention of certain cancer cells.