via Home Made Simple
By skewering together bright, juicy tomatoes, rich cheeses and fresh herbs, you can quickly and easily create a simple but elegant snack everyone will enjoy. Eating vegetables has never been so fun!
- 1 bunch basil leaves
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1 cup cream cheese, softened
- 15 cherry tomatoes, rinsed
- Flat leaf parsley, chopped (for garnish)
- 15 wooden skewers
- In a food processor, make pesto sauce by blending together the basil, garlic, Parmesan cheese, pine nuts, salt and pepper. Once roughly chopped, slowly drizzle in the olive oil and continue blending to a thick sauce consistency. Set aside.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, stir together the scallions and cream cheese. Pour the cheese mixture into a large plastic freezer bag. With scissors, snip off one of the bag’s bottom corners to create a piping bag. Set aside.
- With a pairing knife, cut the top off each tomato, then use a small melon baller to core out the tomato flesh. Spoon a small amount of pesto sauce into each tomato, then gently squeeze your piping bag to top each with scallion cream cheese. Sprinkle with parsley to garnish.
- Insert a skewer into each tomato, then arrange in a tall glass goblet to serve.
Tip: Perfect for any gathering, these skewers can be prepared a day ahead of time and refrigerated, giving you more time to spend with guests. Simply remove them from the fridge and let sit at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving.
Tip: You can skip a few steps by purchasing prepared pesto sauce and onion cream cheese at your grocery store.