Via DIY Natural
Instead of processed, mass produced, commercial peanut butters, experiment with this simple recipe and let us know what you think!
To make your own peanut butter you will need:
- a high-speed blender (VitaMix or a food processor)
- container for storing peanut butter
- 3 cups (24 oz.) peanuts (find organic, non-GMO nuts here)
- any additional items you may desire (honey, seeds, sea salt, oil, etc.)
*If using raw peanuts, it is necessary to add about 2 teaspoons of oil per cup of peanuts.
1. Dump peanuts and any other ingredients you are using into blender or food processor. Secure the lid.
2. Turn on machine and blend on highest setting until peanut butter begins to move freely through the blades.
3. Stop machine, scoop peanut butter out of your machine with spatula and refrigerate in an airtight container. Yields about 2 cups. Refrigerated peanut butter will last several months.
- If you’re feeling ambitious, go ahead and roast your own peanuts to be made into peanut butter!
- Be sure to use peanuts that are as fresh as possible, or you might end up with an “old” peanut taste in your peanut butter.
- If you prefer crunchy peanut butter you will want to stop blending before it is moving freely through the blades of your machine.
- The color of the peanut butter will be different depending on the type of peanut used. (I say this so you don’t think there is something wrong with your peanut butter when it doesn’t look exactly like store-bought.)